- In August 2006, Consultant Roger Brooks, hired by the Rapid City Convention and Visitor's Bureau, took a look at Downtown Rapid City. He returned in October 2007.
- In January 2008, Brooks identified a need for a central gathering place, a plaza, in Downtown Rapid City.
- In April 2008, Destination Rapid City was formed to foster Downtown Rapid City through economic development, creating a vibrant business district rich in appeal for the Rapid City community and its visitors.
- Downtown needed a defining icon; an active gathering place for the entire community; a family-friendly attraction with entertainment for all ages; an outdoor venue for art, music and other events; and a critical mix of businesses for shopping and dining.
- In September 2009, a parking lot at the northeast corner of Sixth and Main streets in Downtown Rapid City was identified as a location for the plaza.
- In June 2010, a Business Improvement District was created Downtown to fund operations and maintenance of Main Street Square for three to five years.
- Main Street Square opened on October 7, 2011.
- Main Street Square provides an iconic landmark for Downtown, a center plaza with waterfall and dancing water fountain, continually changing visual landscape through public art sculptures, and a Downtown gathering area for our local community and its visitors.
What's Happening Live?
Don’t miss one minute of the [FUN]²! See what’s happening in Main Street Square and Downtown Rapid City.
Webcam not working? Update java